Project 3 Week 1

3D Printing Design Concepts 

    This project proved difficult to decide on concepts for because I have no attachment or familiarity with 3D printing. Once we had a demonstration, I recalled one of the artists from my inspiration presentation, Elvira Dayel, describing 3D printing as a medium similar to drawing. Through the demo I could really connect with her describing it that way. Coupled with our discussion in class, I'm going forward with this project considering the process of 3D printing to be the focus of this piece rather than the resulting printed object.  

  After our 3D printing demo and discussion in class, I've got a couple working ideas for a 3D print project. The deciding factor on which direction to go in will be determined by the print tests I have scheduled this week. 

    The sketches above outline my two paths of thinking for this project. Below, I will outline the two ideas and as stated above, allow the tests to be the deciding factor for which one I'll proceed with. 

Option 1: Planning to Fail

    My first idea is to create objects in Rhino that are designed to fail in a controlled way when 3D printed. This includes concepts such as the use of cantilevers and bridges to introduce chance and improvisation to a process that is typically very rigorous. However, if a failure is "planned" then it really wouldn't be considered a "failure" in the final product, so I think this could also be considered an opportunity to show a more dynamic, artistic side of 3D printing. An object that is made with an element of chance is also far more appealing to me when considering the use of 3D printing and open-sourced files. Even though the downloadable file is the same, printing to fail means that the resulting objects would all have slightly unique features. If 3D printing is the opposite of mass production, then it makes far more sense to me to be using it to create unique objects. I believe I could eloquently showcase that idea if all of the FDM printers in the lab printed the same "failure" file simultaneously, (and perhaps documenting this on video?) and the resulting differences in the final objects. 


Option 2: 3D Printing as Drawing

    The second idea lends itself more to the concept of 3D printing as a drawing medium, and as a medium of performance. This option would be best displayed through a time lapsed video as a final product, in order to capture the entire process of the printer "drawing." My plan is to create a contoured shape in Rhino that when printed bottom to top, would reveal an image. Likely a human face, since it has easily recognizable contours and would also provide a commentary on human and robot interaction. I might also add elements to the video such as lighting (or maybe glow in the dark filament?) to add to the performance aspect of it. I think this option would be more challenging, due to the technical shape in Rhino as well as capturing the printing process effectively on camera. Below is the contoured shape I will test this week.   




 

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 2 Week 1

Milestone Projects