Project 2 Week 1

 

Reverse Engineered Object Selections

Our next project is to reverse engineer a preexisting object and 3D model it in Rhino. Using calipers, we will measure our objects and then input the data into our built models. A requirement is that we choose a "mechanical" object that has at least one moving part or components that fit together. Below are my three choices for a "mechanical" object to 3D model.

Metronome

    My first object is a metronome. I think the body of this object would be easy to model, and it's made out of an aesthetically pleasing material to render. The internal mechanical components would probably be straight forward to model due to the fact that they are made out of basic shapes. However, this object can't be completely taken apart, and so getting exact measurements might prove to be challenging.  

 


Grigri device and Caribiner

    This object is actually more of a mechanical system than a singular object. I am considering choosing one or the other, however they are designed to work together and so I think it would be most ideal to model the whole system. Both the Grigri and the 'biner have curves that might be tricky not only measure perfectly but also recreate in Rhino. There are also much smaller internal parts of the Grigri that can't be accessed, but I think a general model of the two parts could be easily made. This system would also make a nice render, due to the colorful metal.   




Bike Lock 

    I think this object is the most simple, both to measure and also to model. There are only two components, and they fit together in a very basic way. To introduce more of a challenge, I am considering including the key component, and then in Rhino I could try and model the internal keyhole. Ultimately however it would have to be more of an estimation since I couldn't measure the internal keyhole exactly.  

 




 

Final Thoughts

    I am leaning most towards the Grigri and carabiner. I think these objects can be handled and measured very thoroughly, as opposed to the delicate components of the antique metronome or the basic design of the bike lock. I think this presents enough of a challenge that depending on time, I could start on either the Grigri or the carabiner and even if I only complete half, it would still be a great model of a mechanical object.  

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 3 Week 1

Milestone Projects