Project 1 Week 2

 Project 1 Week 2 - Mood Board


Precedent Work

    My inspiration for this project comes from an artist I referenced in my mini presentation, Catherine Burgess. Her work involves cold, industrial materials like metal, processed and fabricated in a way that the finished piece appears like something handmade or like a less industrial material such as ceramic. 

    When thinking about the fabrication process of laser cutting, I'm reminded of a heavily industrialized process; kind of a "cold" medium. There is what feels like a large separation between a laser cut item versus an item that is hand carved or cut. Having these associations, I wanted to choose a material that represented the opposite. 

    I decided on painted porcelain tea plates as my material. Though these plates aren't necessarily handmade, I have strong associations to decorative plates as something that is warm and feminine, and an item that is oftentimes displayed in homes as a family heirloom. Personally, they remind me of my grandma.  


Sketchbook

    I want to use the laser to engrave a pattern that is continuous between the plates, so that when hung in a decorative manner on a wall they will collectively make an image. 


Digital

    So far in Rhino I've created the plate templates I can use to configure the design for the laser cutter. I measured the physical plates as well as the actual flat surface of the plates where the laser cutter will be able to reach. This is as far as I've gotten, because I haven't nailed down an exact design idea for the engraving pattern :)


Draw

    My idea for the engraving designs vary. At first I was drawn to the idea of geometric patterns like a city map or a blueprint, but I don't think those add to my concept of cold and warm mediums working together. Ideally my design will be something that will further contribute to a cozy, "handmade" feel. I'm also considering text. 

    I also had an idea to add elements of engraving and cutting by engraving a design and then laser cutting a layer of a different plate over top. I kind of like the idea of a very deliberate, laser cut pattern that simply looks as though the plate was broken. Stay tuned! 

 


 

 


 

 


 

 

 

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 3 Week 1

Project 2 Week 1

Milestone Projects