Weekly Assignment 1

 Modelling Architecture in Rhino

For our week one assignment I chose to model the entrance to my apartment building. It consists mostly of cubic shapes, with rounded ornamental windows cut out. I thought it was a good, straightforward choice to practice some of the skills we learned last week. 


I built the entrance using various sized rectangular extrusions, and copying extrusions so that sizes were uniform. As I built it, I realized I should've used the mirror tool, since some of the extrusions weren't lining up correctly. I found that my knowledge of Rhino so far isn't as technical as other modelling software I've used, and I'd like to know how to use construction lines in Rhino. 

I was stumped when it came to cut out the front archway; I created an extrusion with fillets to get the rounded corners, but the boolean cut-away wouldn't work because the fillets didn't seem to apply to the front and back face of the extrusion. 

In summary, this was easier than I expected in some ways, and more difficult in others. It's not as uniform in appearance as I would've liked, and some things that I thought would've been straight forward weren't, (such as the window cut outs). If I were to redo it, I think I would create one large rectangular extrusion and cut out of it to make the windows and entryway arch so that it would all be one unit.  

To the right is the cut away tool with the incomplete fillets. 



 

 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 3 Week 1

Project 2 Week 1

Milestone Projects